Thursday, August 26, 2010

Ewe Thina

...more or less you say it "ay-way teen-ah," and it means "We Walk His Way." That's what we're trying to do here, at least. I'm in Stony Point, NY with somewhere around 90 other people, the majority of us getting ready to go to 16 different places around the world. Given the fact that we'll be going to so many different places, and the fact that the Stony Point conference center is generally driven towards mission-related projects/groups, we've been singing a lot of songs from other places around the world. Don't get me wrong, I love songs like "Prince of Peace" and "Light the Fire" (a lot), but to hear the same meaning and belief in a new and refreshing (not to mention catchy) way is pretty lovely. I've always been one to find God's presence in music, but let me tell you, hearing 90 people sing those two words in four part harmony is powerful stuff. It's a simple phrase, but I think it sums up a major goal for most of us in the coming year.

Everybody's doing different things, from rebuilding houses in New Orleans to working near the border in Tucson (to campus ministry in Nashville...), but through all of this we're trying to take God's love out into the world with us. That's not to say that it's not already there, because if you ask me God's love is already everywhere, just maybe manifested in different ways. And I can't say that I know exactly what this year holds (I highly doubt anyone here can, at this point), but I can tell you one thing. God's love is most definitely here. Here in this program, here in this place, here in these people, and here in the relationships I've started building just in a few days.

So today (well, it's after midnight so technically, yesterday) was my birthday. Hello 22, nice to meet you! I kid you not, I have known most of these people for three days (my fellow Nashville YAVs for four or five), but it was a really lovely day. Despite the fact that I'm kiiiiind of uncomfortable with 90 people singing the birthday song to me, it happened....twice. And there was a big ol' cake and my new (and wonderful) Nashville friends made me a paper crown (which I admittedly wore for only an hour or two...) and a card. And all birthday happenings aside, I can really tell that this YAV community thing is for real. The fact that we all have this common experience to share, and that we're all quite uncertain of exactly how the next year will go, is a really special place to start. All I can say is that as of right now, I'm pretty positive I'm exactly where I'm supposed to be.

Love,
Allison.

No comments:

Post a Comment