Monday, October 4, 2010

Weekend Happenings

Hey friends!

Some fun stuff happened this weekend, so I thought I might share them with those of you who are interested enough to be reading this blog...nothing too intense in this post, just some weekend happenings. :)

So there's this First Friday service at Christ Church Cathedral downtown that happens every (you guessed it...) first Friday of the month. It's an Episcopal church that puts on this monthly service for the community. In place of a sermon, each month there's a different...expression of faith, I guess you could call it. We YAVs have gone both first Fridays we've been in town, and it's been really great. The free wine and snazzy cheese hors d'oeuvres that happen afterwards may or may not be extra motivation to go, but it really has been a cool experience. The first time we went it was Labor Day weekend, and the "sermon" was a local group performing songs from the musical Working, about different professions. This past Friday there was some liturgical dance goin' on while a woman read something having to do with creation. I can't remember what exactly the reading was adapted from, but it wasn't biblical...just kind of having to do with a vague spirituality and the interconnectedness of things. I liked it. There was also a lady that, throughout the service, was working on a chalk drawing at the front of the sanctuary. It's the kind of worship service that's just different enough to be refreshing, but not so unfamiliar that you're made uncomfortable by it. That's not to say that getting out of your worship/religious comfort zone is always a bad thing, but you get the idea. I also like that all of us can go together. I've really loved being at 2PC, but worshiping with all seven YAVs is pretty lovely too.

Saturday was such a lovely day. Started off hiking at Radnor Lake with Vic and a new friend, Kenna. It was far from a super intense trail, but it was wonderful to spend more time outside in the fall weather. (And hey, the trail went uphill some!) We saw a few deer chillin' out right off of the trail, and later some wild turkeys (one was eating a snake...cool stuff). Here are a couple pictures of the lake...



After hiking and some chill time in the Shed (as in Toolshed/my house), I went with Mary Kate and her friend that was visiting to a cultural festival in Centennial Park. Las Paletas (seriously, best popsicles you'll ever have) had a stand, and I decided to try out the hibiscus flavor. Kiiind of worried it'd be like eating a flower, I decided to try nonetheless. It was kind of odd, but good! And I mean hey, how many times do you get the opportunity to try a hibiscus popsicle?

Post-park-wandering, it was back to the Shed for a while, then we YAVs headed downtown towards Broadway, where we found a trailer park themed bar, and, including at the karaoke place where we ended up, about 2039842 bachelorette parties. Quite the entertaining night, and quite the excellent weekend.

Love,
Allison.

No comments:

Post a Comment