maund·y
[mawn-dee]
–noun
1.
the ceremony of washing the feet of the poor, especiallycommemorating Jesus' washing of His disciples' feet onMaundy Thursday.
I've heard of foot washing before, and foot washing was part of the last staff devo of the summer at camp both years I worked there. But I don't know that I actually realized the real connection between foot washing and Maundy Thursday. I mean for goodness' sake, it's the definition! If you're unfamiliar with foot washing, there's a handy dandy link to the Wikipedia article on it in my last post. I think I never really made the connection because, at least as far as I can recall, I don't think I've ever been to a Maundy Thursday service that involved foot washing, until this year. The idea though is that Jesus ends up turning the tables on his friends, his disciples, and he washes their feet. Usually a job for servants, this caused quite the stir (which it turns out was not an unusual reaction to Jesus' actions). The point though, is that we are all called to be humble servants. I think the number of ways humble servanthood can manifest itself are infinite, and I think it applies to even the most important and influential of us. And that's a indispensable idea, within the Christian context or not.
Another thing I noticed tonight at the service is that the term "night of love" kept coming up. It surprised me at first, because I think I associate Maundy Thursday and Good Friday with each other. I mean obviously they're related, but the truth is that, at least until Jesus gets to Gethsemane, Maundy Thursday was a good time. Serious. But good. Full of Jesus' love for his disciples (which I suppose in turn means all of us). After Jesus washes the disciples' feet, he says: "I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another." (John 13:34-35) Now, I'm not trying to undermine the seriousness of Maundy Thursday and the betrayal, trial, and crucifixion that happen after the Last Supper. (Scroll down a couple posts for thoughts on why the sad stuff is important.) But I think I've also realized that our knowledge of what is coming in the next few days can sometimes overshadow the wonderful spirit of community and love that was present at the Last Supper. I mean, Jesus knew what was up. He knew what was coming. But if he wash feet and say all this of love, surely we can too.
Love,
Allison
No comments:
Post a Comment