Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Godly Weeds

Walking from my car to the office yesterday, I noticed this right at a busy intersection:


They're thistles. 

I've mentioned, before, an organization called Thistle Farms. Check the link for more info if you missed the last post. You can also follow them on Twitter. Thistle Farms produces all natural bath and body products, and is associated with an organization called Magdalene (follow the same link for info on that). Magdalene is a program for women recovering from lives of prostitution and addiction. Where the thistles come in: the thistle serves as their symbol because it grows in rough conditions. As a weed it is often unwanted as it pops up out of concrete, or in a tiny patch of grass between two busy roads. Hard to get rid of, it can survive with very little nourishment and in the end grow into beautiful flowers. If you're interested in hearing more, NPR just did a series about Magdalene and Thistle Farms. Listen here.

So, after noticing these particular thistles (and getting a little excited just because I knew exactly what they were), it struck me how beautiful they really are. And how the world could really use some beauty right about now. With so much violence and destruction, whether by human hand or nature's, we could really use some nice, sturdy beauty. I've still been thinking about all of the different reactions to Osama bin Laden's death (scroll down a post), and the awful storms and destruction in Alabama and the surrounding areas. And wouldn't you know, just days after the storms and the very day after the President's announcement about bin Laden,  here's God saying "Oh hey friend, what's up? I'm here."


Love,
Allison

No comments:

Post a Comment