On our retreat this past weekend (scroll down to my last post for a few retreaty words) we were introduced to a couple of new spiritual practices of sorts. One was journaling, which I rather enjoyed at the time, but just didn't stick. Another, however, is called praying in color and inspired by Sybil MacBeth's book of the same name. The book is far better at explaining it than I am, but basically, it's contemplative and spiritual doodling. By doodling the names of people we're praying for, we can lift up those names, but leave the wording and problem-solving to God. I mean, I don't know about you but half the time when I start to pray, it's like "Dear God, please help...man that sandwich I had for lunch was good...I wonder what I'm doing next year...I hope there's enough coffee left for tomorrow morning..." Next thing you know I'm asleep. Anyway, you get the idea. Doodling gives your hands something to do and your mind something to focus on--a most excellent thing for fidgeters like yours truly. The idea (MacBeth says that the doodle is only half of the prayer) is that in visualizing your doodle prayers throughout the day, you can remember those that need your prayers, and lift a little prayer up right then and there. For God, you don't need the words or attention span to form complete sentences. He gets the little green circles and squiggles.
A dear friend told me on Skype as she was going to bed for the night, after I'd explained this whole thing: "Go doodle with God. He'll keep you company." I really liked that. The idea of God keeping us company. I mean, God's always there...I don't think many religious folks would argue that some higher power isn't around all the time. But keeping us company. I feel like if someone keeps another company, it's a casual, friendly thing. "Oh, you're walking back to your room? Let me keep you company." "No one to eat lunch with? I'll keep you company." God's just hangin' out makin' friends.
In addition to doodley praying for other people, you can (says MacBeth) use the practice to learn Bible verses, make calendars (praying for a certain person/thing each day), and a host of other things that are at the moment escaping my memory. Given my newfound love of this form of reflection, I stopped by the grocery store on my way home from work one day this week and snagged an off-brand notebook in which to store my doodle prayers. One of my latest ones is rather introspective...it's a work in progress, but I feel pretty good about it. I think I'll move on the the coloring part, in hopes of being inspired with more words to describe myself and fill in the blank spots. That sounds potentially conceited, I think, saying I just want to describe myself. But it's been a good experience so far, having to fill up a big ol' box. By no means are they all good words.
I am daughter, sister, great-niece and friend. I am coffee drinker, Presbyterian, Furmanite and (part) pyromaniac. I am judgmental. I am impatient, lonely, and I am worried.
I am a work in progress, and I am a child of God.
![]() |
So off I go, prayerfully doodling my way through the rest of a year in Nashville, and (sometimes) blogging about it as I go. Stay warm out there, and happy Super Bowl-ing, friends.
Love,
Allison.
P.S. - Try as I might, the blog version of my picture wouldn't rotate. Just tilt your head to the right a bit and we'll be good to go.

No comments:
Post a Comment