Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Obligatory End-of-Year Thoughts

Well friends, I'm officially not a Nashville YAV anymore. Mary Kate and Beth are both moved out so it's just me in the Shed, and depending on the day this week there are only two or three left in the Cabana. It's weird, to have a two-thirds-empty house. And it's weird that less than a week from now I'll be home, getting ready to move to New Orleans.

I don't really think it's sunk in yet. I mean, the fact that it's the end of the year, but also I don't think the majority of my year has sunk in. Of course I could tell you plenty of wonderful things about this year...that it helped me decide to go to seminary in a year, that it gave me priceless experience in campus ministry and that I've gained a handful of really wonderful friendships that I'm sure will be life long. Not to mention my knowledge of Nashville coffee shops. (For a few more, scroll down and read the reflections I shared at 2PC on YAV Sunday.) But my guess is that over time other really important things about this year will sink in. We'll just have to see how that unfolds. 

I've been thinking about (and talking about, to some fellow YAVs) how it seems like every time I make good, close friends, it's time to move somewhere else. Now I now that's mainly my doing, seeing as I keep making relatively short-term commitments, and I knew the end of this year was coming. But I think it really started sinking in, when I was sitting in the Shed alone yesterday. It's not like I'll never talk to my fellow Nashville YAVs (or former Nashville YAVs? Woah.) again. Of course I will. And I'm so so excited to go to YAV orientation again and make new YAV friends there and in New Orleans. But I guess it's still just something I've struggled with a lot this year. On a slightly similar note, though, there are a handful of other YAVs doing second years, so I'll know some people already when I get to Stony Point this time around! 

I hope this all didn't sound to whiney. I really am excited. Just starting to process that YAV round one really is over. And no doubt I'll have plenty to say about this year even after I get to New Orleans. But for now, on to the next adventure! 

Still a few more days left to enjoy Nashville, and this Saturday I'll get to see some of my very best friends at a Furman wedding right down the street! 

Love,
Allison

1 comment:

  1. The year goes fast, doesn't it. You've done an excellent job serving, blogging, and generally YAVing. Get hype for orientation, part deux.

    ReplyDelete